Dutch Octogenarian Preserves Deceased Father’s Body in Freezer for 18 Months

An 82-year-old Dutchman from the municipality of Landgraaf kept his dead father remains in a freezer for 18 months so that he “could still talk to him.” After a family doctor voiced concern about the father’s 101-year-old health, the cops found the body.

His son told the police “I didn’t want to lose my father. Otherwise I would miss him,” according to the outlet that cited 1Limburg. The police said that they are investigating the incident and don’t suspect any incident of foul play at the moment.

Landgraaf Police said in a statement, “We are currently investigating the death of this person and why the remains were placed in a freezer. In the interest of the investigation, we are not making any statements about the relationship between the residents of the building at this time.”

The discovery of the deceased father’s body in an 82-year-old Dutch man’s freezer has led to concerns about his ability to live independently. Authorities have given him one week to clean up his family’s house, which was found in a state of disarray, and make it suitable for habitation.

During the inspection, officials will assess the man’s living conditions and determine if he can continue to live independently. If the inspection reveals that he is not capable of living on his own, then arrangements will be made for his care.

The situation has raised questions about the man’s mental and physical well-being, as well as the lack of support he may be receiving from family and community members. It is crucial to ensure that elderly individuals receive adequate care and support to live dignified life in their later years.

According to the newspaper, which cited a neighbor, the man’s 101-year-old father had a malignancy and required regular hospital visits for treatment. However, a similar incidence occurred in 2015 as well. The remains of a man’s deceased mother was hidden for nearly two years while he continued to receive her pension and social assistance payments, Dutch police found out. He was ultimately caught and had to pay back 40,000 euros.