The “One-Chip Challenge” hospitalises 3 California Teenagers

Spicy food isn’t for everyone, but some people have made a pastime out of pushing their taste receptors to their extremes. Paqui Chips have even created a challenge centred on determining a person’s capability to handle spiciness.

Paqui refers to the one-chip gauntlet as a task in which you must consume a single chip “made with the hottest peppers on the planet.” The chip is created from the Carolina Reaper, which is touted as the world’s hottest pepper, as well as the scorpion pepper, according to Paqui’s website. Not only must you consume the chip, but you must also wait as long as humanly possible before sipping anything else.

Although many people fail to finish the challenge, it is recommended that competitors wait an hour before wetting the chip down. In fact, videos of individuals attempting and failing the challenge abound on TikTok. Even as the challenge has grown in popularity, some people are beginning to recognise how deadly it may be.

According to Insider, a California school district reported that at least three high school students were hospitalised after taking part in the popular “One Chip Challenge” fad.
After eating the potato chip, the pupils, some of whom were from Lodi High School in Sacramento, were said to require immediate treatment.

“Each student who has taken part has had a similar reaction, struggling to breathe and catch their breath.” The school’s principal, Adam Auerbach, informed the news organisations.
“We have also had students vomiting on themselves,” he added.

Paqui started the challenge, and the hashtag # onechipchallenge has so far received 475.5 million views on TikTok.

According to the local paper, The Lodi News-Sentinel, the high school principal reportedly stated that anyone discovered possessing the hot chips would be sent home.

The fad has gone viral online, with a slew of celebrities jumping on board. On Christmas Day, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez videotaped herself eating the spicy pepper.